Monday, April 11, 2011

never a dull moment

Last Thursday I took my 3 boys to storytime. We were just finishing up on the craft when Talan took a tumble off of a little bench they have set up for the kids to sit on, and landed just right, breaking his arm in 2 places. When I asked what happened he said the bench came up, making me think he must of been standing on one side of it making the other come off sending him onto the ground. He was crying really hard, so with Easton in tow I walked over to him and helped him up gave him a love and looked down it was obvious immediately that it was broken. His arm was curved and it almost looked like his hand was no longer connected to his arm, as it was just hanging there. I scooped Talan up and carried him out like a baby instructing Chase to push Easton in the stroller out. Fortunately, as we were leaving my neighbor who we came with us, hadn't left yet and took my other two boys with her and I headed to the nearest doctor I could think of. Talan screamed the whole way. As soon as we got there I asked them if they could give him something for the pain, they had to OK it with the doctor, but they did give him some Motrin. I got Talan to calm down before the doctor came in, all the while he just kept saying my arm hurts, my arm hurts. When the doctor came in to see him he sat so still and was so calm and cooperative. For a 3 year old in a lot of pain he sure was being brave. But then again that's our Talan. Those of you who know him well will know what I mean by that. He got his actual cast on today, which is such a relief because for the past couple days all he has had on it is a split, which I just knew was not enough protection for our sweet little go a mile a minute, gotta love his energy level, Talan.


Talan's arm before they put the spilt on it. Not the greatest picture. It really looked worse in person. But you can see the curve.




With his spilt on heading home.



Taylor didn't know about Talan's arm til that evening when she got home from tumbling. She had gone to a friends house right after school and then straight from there to her tumbling class, so we didn't see her til we picked her up. As soon as she saw Talan, her mothering instincts kicked right in. She wouldn't leave his side, got him a drink, made sure he had his blanket. The next day she had a friend over and they both decided to surprise Talan by decorating his room with pictures that they had made for him. Cute. Cute.



LOVE this pic.


Talan with his fiberglass, nothing is getting through this thing, cast. (Thank goodness!) He kept saying he was going to get a blue cast, but then when he saw the black he thought that resembled Darth Vader and decided to go with that color instead.



8 comments:

Casie said...

Truly never a dull moment for you guys! Poor little guy. His arm made me wince in sympathy pains. And I have to tell you, hearing about Taylor taking care of him so well, brought tears to my eyes.
What a sweetheart!

CANADIAN AMERICAN FAMILY said...

Oh man poor little man! Such a brave boy too! I got two girlfriends to come on a girls weekend to az with me because my luck lissas husband got a job in Idaho and she won't be there either!!!!

Marie Nelson said...

Oh my goodness!! Jamie, there is always something going on over there! You're probably getting quite well acquainted with the doctors and urgent cares in Mesa. Poor Talan - but he looks pretty proud of that cast! Can't wait to see them all on Friday!

CAMERAHAPPY said...

Ohhh I dread the day for broken bones, it really freaks me out! We have done staples in heads, but broken limbs really have gotta hurt a ton! What a brave little kid! Good luck with that!! I loved those pictures they made for him, so sweet!

Lynette said...

Busy Bees....better to be busy then board right? right? I'm not sure somedays. Go Talan for being to tough and so stinking cute all the time. I can't believe how big Easton is in that pic too! Updating my blog soon for you. xoxox

Carrie said...

Ouch! Poor lil guy! He really is brave! I love how they decorated his room. Taylor is so adorable, mommy's helper, i love it.

Angela, Grady and Boys said...

Oh Jamie, I am so sorry! And I am so sorry for cute little Talan...I honestly am nautious after reading that and seeing the picture of his poor little arm! I have had way too many broken bones and so I know just how he feels! I dread the day that one of my boys brake something because even though I worked for an orthopedic surgeon for years and saw horrible, horrible injuries, when it's someone that you know and love it is so hard! Way to stay tough...both of you!

Sandy said...

I remember when you were about 2 or so, you broke your arm. When you got home from getting your cast on, you told your mom that you needed a band aid on it to make it better. So cute... I am so sorry that he broke is arm. What a trooper...and Easton looks SO big. I hope things slow down for you a bit...but with those boys, I'm not sure what's next. Tay, keep on helping your mom. What a sweetheart you are!! XOXOXOXO TO ALL